Saturday, March 15, 2008

Black and White

I TOTALLY jinxed myself when I last blogged saying that I had been starting my Saturdays with Beate's sketch challenge. So naturally last weekend seemed to fly by in a blink with this past week no better. I wasn't able to start my day today either with the sketch challenge - it was more like starting my afternoon with it! But in any case, after skipping last week, I used this weekend's sketch challenge for the basis of the bridal shower card that I need for tomorrow's party. A family friend from my childhood is getting married this May and tomorrow is the shower. I used her invitation as the inspiration for the card - her invite has a very classy black and white motiff with lots of swirls, which reminded me of the SU set Baroque Motiffs - so that's what I used. I don't know if I have ever made a black and white card - I don't even usually use black, I don't think. But I do like how this turned out... although considering I only used black ink (Palette Hybrid - Noir), a couple brads, ribbon, little bit of paper piercing (under the sentiment in the oval and around the big panel) and EVEN HAD A SKETCH TO FOLLOW - it still took me quite a bit of time to finish it! I have now idea why... I will sit there and fidget with my cards to no end (not that they look any better because of it! - oh well). Good thing this isn't my day job...
But I have been scrapping quite a bit, relatively speaking. I have been challenging myself to finish a page a weekend (yes, this is a challenge for me...). I have been staying on track and have even come close to finishing a 2-page spread tonight. I just love the quiet of the night - it is such a relaxing time for me, that I really don't mind forgoing sleep just to have this time to myself. I love having this time especially when I am scrapping because I get to slowly go through pictures of the people who are most important to me and maybe times, it is almost like I am seeing the pics for the first time. I have come to realize that I get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and the important events (baptisms, family weddings, holidays, vacations, etc.) that I am photographing that often times there are so many things that I have forgotten about already or maybe even missed the first time. I know that I really have to slow down... but it is easier said than done, right? In any case, this is why I really want to stay on top of my scrapping, because for me, the process has become just as important as the final project.
Random thought for the day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria, your card looks wonderful!
Hugs and smiles

Anonymous said...

Love the card- soo pretty!! Black and white can look so good!

Congrats on getting some "me" time to scrap too!