Friday, March 16, 2007

My "Take Ten" Card


This is the card that I made this afternoon while everyone was home for the snow day. By the way, it did end up snowing quite a bit today, so everything in that earlier pic was covered in white by the end of the day. But it was not really a blizzard of regular light-weight snow, but more like heavy slushy snow that fell steadily throughout the day. Then it turned to ice by the end of the day. I still don't think that it should have been a true snow day...but definitely an early dismissal day, for sure. ;) I STILL can't believe that it was 70 degrees this past Wednesday... what is up with our environment (I shudder to think!)??

Stamps Used: Inky Antics and the Happy Birthday sentiment from SU Birthday Best
CS: Buckaroo Blue, Old Olive, Brocade Blue, PP from Scenic Route
Ink Used: Basic Black, Cranberry Crisp
Accessories: CM Cutting System (for the circle), SU Ribbon, CB Tiny Tags Die (can't stop using these!), Slot Punch, Dimensionals

So back to the card. Here's a little bit to set it up. I was reading AmyR's blog, which I love and check out pretty much every day (thanks to the always-efficient, Google Reader), and she mentioned a great post Asela's blog today. So I went to go check it out - and what a great blog she has (as I add it to my Google Reader)! :) Anyway, I noticed that she had an entry about all the places to submit your work for publication (which was all connected to the previous post that Amy pointed out in the first place on her blog... but I won't get into that, because it is whole 'nother post, and a world that I really am not a part of at all (people who are all REAL artists and all the feelings and thing, good and bad, that go along with it...as for me, well - I just kinda do my thing on the proverbial sidelines, so to speak ;) ) ANYWAY... I still I have such a problem with tangents when I write. I think it is b/c here, I write like I am speaking to a friend or something (soooo different from work).

ANYWAY, just for fun, I wanted to check out what the requirements, of some of the publications, were for submissions. I had never checked one out before. I've entered a contest here for there for fun (didn't win, obviously), but never submitted. So I saw the Stampington site and checked out Take Ten, b/c I had heard of the publication mentioned on other people's blog. The current challenge was to create a card based on a sketch in 10 minutes (OOOHHH - smacks head as the light bulb goes off... that's why they call it Take Ten! LOL) So I decided to try it.

I know now that I will never be able to submit a card for this mag - LOL . I can't create a card in 30-40 minutes, let along 10 minutes. It takes me waaay too long... and that's with me being given the sketch. So I figured that I would post my attempt here instead. :) I made this card for my BF from HS' son's 1st birthday (did you get all that?! LOL). I hope they like it.

Maybe I'll try again sometime soon and just not think about it too much. Or...maybe I should just see where I am with a card after 10 minutes. How funny would that be??... I probably wouldn't even have the whole sheet of CS cut in 1/2 yet! :D
ETA: I thought about this some more and realized, why am I basing a 10 minute card on ME? Clearly the papercrafting industry does not base things on my speed of making a card - LOL. So I AM going to try this again and will try to make a card that "someone" could likely complete in 10 minutes. How about that?
Hey... you never know, and like Asela said, all it costs is the postage! :) (yep - there's the optimist in me shining through!)

No comments: