Thursday, January 17, 2008

A New Baby and a Another Card too!

What an exciting last few days! I am so happy that my brother and SIL had a wonderful, healthy and beautiful little boy last Tuesday night. He is too adorable for words and I love him to pieces already. I am always so amazed when I see a newborn...it is so hard (at least for me) to believe that is how tiny everyone started out...so much hope and potential - the world is out there in front of him for the taking.

So I went to the hospital that night and was there in the room in the first few moments after he was born. I hadn't ever had the opportunity to be present for any other births other than my own children and it was such a wonderful experience. I can say that I was one of the first people after his parents to hold him in my arms! :) It was very late, or actually early in the morning. I can barely remember my boys ever being that small in my arms. They all (even my littlest kiddo) look like giants compared to the new baby.
After that I flew out the next day and was in LA for the next day and a half. With all the excitement here at home, I changed my flight plans at the last second and came in on the red eye last night. I was able to get some rest this morning and still put in a day of work. We finished off the day by bringing the boys to meet their new cousin tonight. We brought over dinner and just hung out. I am very lucky that both of my brothers live fairly close by and we all see each other on a pretty regular basis.
Anyhoo, now on to something papercrafting related...
This is one of those times when I had an idea in my mind and was actually able to create it just as I had envisioned. PLUS I was pretty pleased as to how this card turned out (I'm still kinda shocked about that as I type this - LOL!).
I am always on the hunt for non-floral and non-kiddie images that would work well for guy cards. I always have a hard time, and often just omit an image and just go with PP and a sentiment. I have seen other stampers use this stamp as a background stamp, but I thought that it might work well as main image by itself as well for a guy card (and maybe depending on the colors I choose, I might be able to use it for a girl card...hmmm). This was part of my latest (and first for 2008) papercrafting purchase, from where else, yup - eP. I know I was drawn to it for a number of reasons, one of which is because I work in the city. Btw, this was the first time I had ever bought an unmounted image before too. I also bought the foam backing that eP sells on its site and it was a breeze to put together correctly. I think that I will definitely have to explore the unmounted stamp more - takes up less space and they are less expensive, I think, even if you have to buy the foam cling-on separately.

I based the color scheme on the PP I chose and tried my best to shade it based on how the sunlight would hit these buildings if they were real. Obviously that needs lots of work, but again, it turned out better than I thought it would, LOL! I also pulled use my Twinkling H20s in pearl (I think?) to give it some extra shimmer. It look really pretty IRL (at least I think so!).

And it give it more dimension, I actually stamped the image twice and picked a few of the buildings (and the grass) to be raised compared to the others.

Supplies Used: Stamps-Rubber Romance/NY Shopping District, Lizzie Anne Designs/Sketched Sentiments; Inks-Palette Hybid Noir, SU Classic Inks in Brocade Blue, Bashful Blue, Really Rust, Old Oliver, Vintage Violet; CS - SU/Watercolor paper, Chatterbox, SU/Brocade Blue, Basic Black, Really Rust; Other: Twinkling H20, SU-Old Olive organza ribbon, Ticket Corner Punch, Black Brads, Dimensionals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on becoming an Auntie! How wonderful!

I love your card. Your watercoloring and layering looks wonderful! Hugs and smiles